We say that the squeeze box is an “analog model” – it is similar to (an analog) the deformation of real rocks, but it is a model because it is not real rocks being deformed by the Earth over millions of years. Since we don’t have millions of years to sit around and watch the rocks, this analog model is a good tool to try to understand how the rocks deform over geologic time. You can even create your own cores and erosional patterns!
Our squeeze box is perfect for demonstrations in structural geology labs or as a ‘Geologists zen garden’. This updated version is an improvement on our original design, we worked closely with educators to ensure it can stand up to heavy classroom use. It features fully removable sides, allowing the ability to take peels of cross sections, and allows the acrylic parts to be replaced if they are damaged. The screw mechanism has also been updated, making operation smoother and easier.
Optional core tubes can be added to further study experiments done using our Geologist’s Squeeze Box. These tubes can be used to extract core samples from the deformed material to provide a more realistic example of how these formations are studied by geologists.
Box Dimensions Approximately: 8 in x 3.5 in x 4.5 in
- Assembled squeeze box
- PDF Lab Activity
- Safe materials for safe at home science
- Fun and educational activity at all levels
- Custom machined metal parts and durable laser cut acrylic construction
- WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD – Product contains small parts. Not suitable for children under 3 years.
- WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.